Coaches play an important role in sports. They guide and mentor the players with their performances and techniques. The upcoming Australian Tour would be a crucial one. For that reason, PCB has appointed Shaun Tait, Muhammad Yousuf as coaches for bowling, and batting. Saqlain Mushtaq would be the head coach for the year.
To win a game, the team needs to be well aware and prepared to take over. International Teams haven’t played on Pakistani soil for more than a decade. Not playing at home is a disadvantage for the players. Australia is going to brace the Pakistani soil after long 24 years. They have been the kings of cricket and have been followed by Pakistani fans for years.
PCB Appoints Coaches
Earlier PCB has announced that foreign coaches would be hired, but the process couldn’t be completed. To prepare for the Australian Series, PCB has appointed the following coaches to assist the players, as the team had no coaches since September 2021. Saqlain and Abdul Razzaq were appointed as temporary coaches. The coaches are as follows:
- Saqlain Mushtaq-Head Coach for one year
- Shaun Tait-Bowling Coach for one year
- Muhammad Yousuf-Batting coach for the Aus Series
- Abdul Majeed-fielding coach
Other support personnel includes:
- Mansoor Rana-Manager
- Shahid Aslam-Assistant to head coach
- Cliffe Deacon-Physiotherapist
- Drikus Saaiman-Trainer/strength and conditioning coach
- Abdul Majeed-fielding coach
- Emmad Ahmed Hameed-Media and digital manager
- Col (retd) Usman Anwari-Security manager
- Talha Ejaz-Analyst
- Malang Ali-Masseur
Fact sheet of Shaun Tait
- ex Australian fast bowler
- played a crucial role in the 2007 WC where Aus won in WI
- Played 3 Tests, 35 ODIs, and 21 T20s
- Retired in 2017 due to persistent injuries
Fact sheet of Saqlain Mushtaq
- Ex Pakistani spinner
- Invented doosra (type of bowling in off-spinning)
- Played 49 tests, 169 ODIs, and 9 T20is
- Holds 7 records
Fact sheet of Muhammad Yousuf
- Ex Pakistani Batter
- Played 90 Tests, 288 ODIs, and 3 T20is
- Holds many records
Australia will play 3 Tests, 3 ODIS, and one T20i in the series. The Tests will be part of the ICC World Test Championship, while the ODIs will be part of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Super League, a 13-team competition from which the top seven teams and hosts India will qualify directly for the 2023 event.
The training sessions are expected to start from February 16 in Rawalpindi.
So far the test squad has been announced by PCB, the other squads will be announced soon. the following players made it to the test squad.
- Babar Azam (captain)
- Mohammad Rizwan (vice-captain)
- Abdullah Shafique
- Azhar Ali
- Faheem Ashraf
- Fawad Alam
- Haris Rauf
- Hasan Ali
- Mohammad Nawaz
- Nauman Ali
- Sajid Khan
- Saud Shakeel
- Shaheen Shah Afridi
- Shan Masood
- Zahid Mahmood
The reserve players include:
- Kamran Ghulam
- Mohammad Abbas
- Naseem Shah
- Sarfaraz Ahmed
- Yasir Shah
Bilal Asif and Abid Ali have been replaced by Haris Rauf and Shan Masood in the test squad.
All this looks promising and heightens the anticipation for the Australian Tour. We wish our team to perform the best it can.